Lucubrations

\Lu`cu*bra"tion\, n. [l. lucubratio;cf. F. lucubration.] 1. The act of lucubrating, or studying by candlelight; nocturnal study; meditation. 2. That which is composed by night; that which is produced by meditation in retirement; hence (loosely) any literary composition.


Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Rich Young Man

Yesterday I read Why I am a Christian by John Stott.  I thought he did an excellent job of summarizing some of the main reasons to be a Christian.  At one point he mentioned CS Lewis' description that Jesus was Lunatic, Liar, or Lord and how Jesus didn't leave open the option of being a good moral teacher.  I wonder if Jesus is directly addressing this question in Mark 10:18?  I also saw three other things when I reread the story (it's always interesting to find new things in a passage you've read so many times before).  First, the young man just called him 'Teacher' the second time he addressed him (thanks, Anna, for pointing that out).  Next, I hadn't noticed the NIV footnote on verse 24 making the distinction between those who have riches and those who trust in riches.  Third, Jesus mentioned fields in v 29, 30.  Does it count if we've left the fields of Oregon for the urban jungle of  Mexico City?